Tuesday 4 October 2011

Summer's over

So, that was the summer. Hardly a great year for getting used to running in the heat but all things considered, I'm not too upset with where things are currently.
After my last post I spent a week in Devon on holiday with the family and friends and only managed 1 run, but spent a lot of time stretching my leg muscles which was good. I came back not so much refreshed, but certainly not over trained like I was at the end of August last year.
On returning home, things have gone manic at work. This has put some pressure on the running, but so far I've been pretty disciplined and kept more or less to the schedule. The next big target was the High Peak 40 on 17 September. A few long runs of up to 20 miles were all I had time for in the build up, though frankly there's not much point running lots of much longer stuff. I bonked completely on the 2nd loop of Fairholmes a week before the HP40, which did my confidence no good at all.
On race day, I felt a bit lacking in oomph but ok for the first 14 miles, then it all started to unravel. I had a bad day. The next 24 miles were pretty abysmal really. No energy, sore knees and hip, and I had to really struggle to keep going. But keep going I did, cajoled on by an uncharacteristically spritely Rich. The last 2 or 3 miles were much better and I seemed to find enough to run pretty strongly home. Not enough to beat 9hours 30, but only 22 seconds outside it, and a full 1hour 15 quicker than last year so was pleased with the end result.
I was pretty sore after that, but managed a couple of mid-length runs the following week. Then track sessions with Sheffield Tri Club started up again on 27 Sept - an easy week to start us back into it (I haven't been track running for about 4 years) before getting serious in October. The aim is to try to inject a bit of speed into my running as I've kind of been training myself to plod. I'm pretty good at plodding now, but could do with an extra kick.
Last weekend was a sort of training weekend in Snowdonia with the Hammer & Pincers quiz team. A fantastic scramble up Tryfan and across the Glyders on Saturday, followed by a quick jaunt up Snowdon on Sunday. Interspersed with one or two beers, a curry, a poker night and much hilarity. My legs are actually pretty beaten up after that, I think from the downhill section on Saturday which saw us drop 900m in about 3km. So I'm resting up before getting on the turbo tomorrow and running again on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment