Friday 17 April 2009

Who are you then?

For those of you that don't know me, I'm a recovering lardoholic. I used to be fat and lazy, but after a beer induced epiphany in 1997 I started running. Now I'm fat and not so lazy. It's an amazing transformation!
Not long after I started running I realised I'm no racing snake. I'm very much your 'middle-of-the-pack' kind of athlete (term used loosely). Undeterred by the fact that I was unlikely to ever win anything, I soon found that in most races you don't have to be on the podium to get a medal - you just have to finish. I've just tended to err towards those events where the finish is quite a long way away.
I'm now a veteran of over 25 marathons, probably more half marathons, and the odd excursion into ultra-distance running - the London to Brighton (55 miles) and High Peak 40 (40 miles - obviously).
I've branched out a little over the years into adventure racing and latterly triathlons, completing, amongst others, the 5-day non-stop 'Adrenalin Rush' adventure race, the OMM and Ironman UK.
All of that seems a long way in the past however, as I've been focusing my energies on my kids since they first arrived on the scene in mid-2006 and training has taken a back seat somewhat. With the MdS, I'm returning to my roots as it were and will be focusing on running for the next 3 years. As well as my wife and kids, obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment